Thursday, September 21, 2006

I just found this interesting. I tried to recapture some of the warmth of those old pictures you see from back in the sixties. The color is a little faded. It's all narrow, soft-focus. Everyone is smiling. This is my aunt Rita and my uncle Eulice by the way, at our family reunion in June of this year. This and all my other reunion shots are now available on flickr. I decided I needed a place to just archive everything, and since I'm already paying for flickr... I just recently decided to link it form here. I hope you like the link. I know it may slow the page load down a little. Recently I've begun creating snapshots, of which this is one. They're not what I consider (with some exceptions) to have a lot of artistic merit; they just chronicle things that I want to share (or that have been requested that I share). By the way, among them are a great number of close-ups of people. Generally when I take a close-up shot, especially when it's not a posed shot (and it has to conform to some insane framing standard like 4X6), I like to focus on the facial expression, and often crop the picture below the top of the head. Someone recently told me they find this disturbing. Anyone care to weigh in on this issue? By the way, the link over there to flickr seems to be showing my most recent uploads, which were all framed as snapshots at 4X6, either vertical or horizontal, so showing them in little squares is a little non-fortuitous.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

cropping below the top of the head is fine. it's common in adverts, but we don't usually think of those the same way we do portraits to hang in the living room or den. i'm all about cropping for what makes a better picture. this is fine unless a paying customer hates it. then you have to decide if that's the kind of customer you want.

2:16 PM, September 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hate anonymous comments and forgot to sign on. that's david's comment above.
-anonymous

2:17 PM, September 25, 2006  
Blogger Wendy said...

did you take that picture

1:00 AM, October 11, 2006  
Blogger Brinton said...

Yes, of course. Every picture at this site except for an ad for a hurricane relief effort by Rite Aid back last year, was done by me. I've gotten kinda religious about it.

8:35 AM, October 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home