Wednesday, August 03, 2005

I want to address a problem. The level of vitriol in our various relationships seems to have increased dramatically in the past few months. Of course this is wont to happen at the end of long and event-filled summer. There have been too many parties, too many drunken soliloquies, too many under-aged dates with out-of-state plates, and at least one too many piss-sodden comforters for there not to be a little strife in Tear Town. Maybe things will get back to normal in due time. Maybe lost friendships will be re-ignited with the passage of time. Maybe they won’t.

It occurs to me though, to have such a wonderful group of people to call my friends, there are so many individual relationships that are headed south, or at least that could head south at any time. In that light, I want to take the time to encourage each and every one of you to be careful with the people you love. I know that there are people whom I respect very much who have been disappointed by things that I have said to them, about them, or despite them. My insensitivity toward the feelings of others may be linked to the insensitivity toward my own feelings, and I regret that I underestimate the fragility of others’ feelings. I would encourage everyone to remember that all people have their own unique world view and some of them are very fragile. If we trounce upon what others find sacred, or we advertise subjects that others find taboo, they may be upset, maybe even permanently upset.

On that same token, folks who are carrying around sacred and taboo features in their hearts should remember that not everyone shares their views. We’re all damaged people somehow, and for one person to say to another, “Hey, I’m OK, You’re OK,” shouldn’t be taken to mean, “Quit whining, you silly bitch!” It may just mean, “Time heals all wounds, and tomorrow is another day.” The fact is that the people I like the best are the people who care the least about themselves, and have the fewest sacred cows. Sure, some of them seem to be arrogant assholes, but they’re definitely hard to piss off. Be sure, if you think of yourself as a touchy-feely type of person, pretty soon someone is going to touch a nerve you don’t like touched. Try not to get too upset for too long when it happens.

I think in general, we are all quickly getting too old to engage in so much “He said, she said” crap. People are weak, they lie, they argue, they even connive, and these are the good people I’m talking about. But people also comfort, they share, and they even love, so let’s no one discount anyone on account of what someone might or might not have said, or what they may or may not have meant by it. It just gets old. I guess that’s enough preaching for now.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate you. What a bunch of crap. Thanks Dr. Phil......Poker game soon?

1:11 PM, August 04, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just like porn and naked chicks!

10:43 PM, August 04, 2005  
Blogger Cory said...

i'm with nathan and anonymous (that guy posts everywhere, i bet he's in that band TBA)... just happy to play poker, watch porn and see nekkidness

2:24 PM, August 05, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home