Friday, January 05, 2007

Just now having read the email from Cody from before New Years regarding the menu for the festivities Sunday night (see what happens when you normally just send me cartoons and weird messages about the end times?), it occurs to me that I used to do quite a bit of reporting on our various parties and social gatherings. I think I slowed down a little on that when my dear mother became a regular reader, but since Sunday was a major celebration, it's only right I should at least mention it. Sunday was not only the New Year, but was also a celebration of the Skulls' victory in the annual Trivia Pub Crawl. The trophy for said crawl is currently residing on my book shelf since our home bar is no more (RIP Peppers). I'm not sure if we'll be able to field a proper team next year, most of us having missed an entire year of Don's current events questions. But for this year, we emerged victorious. Our prize money was dedicated to the party, and for three hundred dollars you can have yourself a quite decent little gathering. Split evenly between beer, liquor, and food, there was plenty of everything to go around. The crowd built slowly and reached its peak just before midnight. After midnight the keg floated upward through the ice water, and various factions drifted off into the night. Out of habit more than necessity I make it a point to stay off the road between the hours of 8 and 2 on New Year's Eve, so I got to enjoy pretty much the entire party from beginning to end, though there were a few early revelers when I arrived and a few stragglers sitting on the porch when I left. This compensated nicely for the week before when I was forced by the requirements of work and early shopping to leave the Christmas party before midnight. I'm fairly certain everyone (well, almost everyone) had a great time. A few people in attendance were not of the usual crowd, but I don't think anyone made any trouble. One unfortunate young man fell in the champagne covered kitchen floor and got his tail a little wet. It seemed to bother him a great deal more than doing it twice bothered me two years ago when I'm fairly certain I fractured my tailbone (just the coccyx, not the pelvis) or at least knocked it loose from the adjoining bones. His problem was the quality of his friends, who instead of screaming in appreciation for his revelry, instead made fun of him for getting his pants wet. He left unhappy. With friends like that, it may not be the last time. For myself, I managed to maintain a level of intoxication that was very enjoyable for the entire time I was there. I guess it's all about pacing yourself. The half gallon of Jim Beam finally ran out about 1:30, so my last half cup of bourbon was filled from my own bottle. I was very careful to make sure the bottle ended up going home with me. Something that I sometimes fail to do.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cory said...

Leaving bourbon behind is a tricky move. In some cases it can be a blessing... you leave someone's house, forgetting that you ever had it, only to return one day and TA-DAA! FREE BOURBON!

Of course, the drawback being if you leave it at someone's house that happens to enjoy a drink... then the TA-DAA is on their end.

Solution: bury some bourbon in the host's back yard. Next time you arrive and run out of adult beverage, pull out a shovel and pour out a round!

3:54 PM, January 05, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And for these last months I had thought the fun reading ended because the group had reached the age of pretext sobriety, begun staying home bored and wishing you were enjoying my refrigerator full of appletinis judiciously reserved for myself because I'm on a fixed income.

I'm not an alcoholic. Just drink in solitude as do all respected Powell County retirees. I'm not stingy. Just suffer forced frugality by meager teacher retirement which eliminates company requiring food or drink. Don't even want to be rich. Just able. Not nosy. Just want to be well informed about the fun to be had if I were young, employed, and unprovincial.

I'll find some way to sabotage Kay's computer...if you promise to reveal the party's underbelly.

9:38 PM, January 08, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home