Thursday, November 16, 2006

I know it’s been a while since my last casual update. There seem to be so many things to talk about, and yet I find I have no opinion about most of it. However, in the sense of not disappointing my readers, I’ll do my very best to report on what’s been important to me lately.

First of all, I was very surprised by the Democrat’s resumption of control of both houses of the legislature. People had predicted, but I kinda thought it was just Republicans predicting things would go badly, just so that they could then claim they still had a mandate when things stayed about the same. When I think about why I believed that, I realize that it’s because I’ve lost faith in the American voting public. I really didn’t think they’d ever change enough to actually vote Democratic, at least not in that amount of time. In any case, I think that Nancy Pelosi will get things done for the Democrats, but I almost worry that she will be too much of an effective party boss, possibly causing even greater divides with the Republicans.

U.S. News this week gave a rundown of the various 2008 presidential contenders. They handicap the Democratic primary in Hillary’s favor. A lot of people don’t like Hillary, but then again a lot of people, especially in New York where she’s apparently been a terrific senator, are extremely loyal. I’ve always thought of her as a little too conservative for my taste, and I consider myself to be only a slightly left-leaning moderate. There’s no doubt that she’s a very strong person, and I think through the two years between now and November 2008, she may be able to convince America she’s the person for the job. I just worry that she’ll be able to convince us Democrats, but not enough of the Republicans to beat John McCain.

I noticed one other thing in the U.S. News. Both Evan Bayh and Barack Obama have been making public appearances sans tie. I’ve never liked ties. When you take away the tradition of wearing them, there’s no other reason left to do it.

I’ve had a cold this week. It began on Saturday, reached the point of debilitation on Sunday, and then gradually has been letting up ever since. There’s a funny thing about a chest cold. Just when you think it’s over, you cough up about half a gallon of nastiness. At least it’s mostly liquid now.

I’ve been working on a new story that will eventually involve a place very much like that one pictured below. It isn’t going very well though. The plot is 90% worked out. It’s filling in the details that has become burdensome. For a long time before I began writing it in narrative form, I played with the idea of writing a screenplay instead, mostly because it requires less writing. Then I even considered the possibility of writing it as a play. It’s possible I will still trash what I have so far and rework it for the stage. Is there any market for that?

1 Comments:

Blogger I changed my name so it wouldn't be so nasty! said...

There's probably more of a "market" for a stage play htan a screenplay, since it's much easier (cheaper) to produce a stage play. I always found plays to be incredibly difficult to write, since they're 90% dialogue, and it's hard to get everything across through that much dialogue.

7:23 PM, November 16, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home