Mr. Graham informs me that the US has placed some sanctions against Venezuela. I've never researched the issue of Venezuela, but my initial impression was that Hugo Chavez is really not a very nice guy. Looking into it a little bit, I found this jewel. It's article 147 of the Venezuelan penal code:
"Anyone who offends with his words or in writing or in any other way disrespects the President of the Republic or whomever is fulfilling his duties will be punished with prison of 6 to 30 months if the offense is serious and half of that if it is light."
Obviously if this was the law of the land here in America I'd probably already be in jail.
"Anyone who offends with his words or in writing or in any other way disrespects the President of the Republic or whomever is fulfilling his duties will be punished with prison of 6 to 30 months if the offense is serious and half of that if it is light."
Obviously if this was the law of the land here in America I'd probably already be in jail.


1 Comments:
I've never read of that actually being put into action in Venezuela. There are mountains of laws on the books in the United States that we don't actually follow.
If it's actually being enforced then I'm most certainly, 100% opposed to it. However, I've never heard of anyone actually going to prison for questioning Chavez. Could it be a relic from an older administration? I'm certainly no Venezuelan Legal Expert, but it's possible.
Post a Comment
<< Home