I'm not often confronted with the fact that many of my friends are younger than I am. Once we've all made it up around thirty (and beyond) age doesn't seem to matter anymore. During a pro basketball game a couple weeks ago, however, the fact hit me that these fellow sports fans are still just kids. We saw a player with AMINU on his jersey. I mentioned that this reminded me of Aminu Timberlake, who used to play for UK. No one in the room, UK fans all, admitted ever having heard of him. I was shocked that he could be forgotten by people who loved UK basketball as much as these did. It seems that in Kentucky it isn't enough to play for our beloved team, you have to really be successful to find a place in our memory. When I looked Aminu up it seems I remember him as being more successful than he actually was, but what confounds me, and partially convinces me my friends were just putting me on, is that Aminu Timberlake has a huge claim to fame. In the regional finals of the NCAA tournament, freshman Aminu was intentionally stepped on by Christian Laettner. Perhaps if he'd been a bit better at playing up the injury, UK basketball history would be decidedly different and he'd be more fondly remembered. On the other hand, no one would know how bad things might have been, and he might have been even more of a sidebar. One way or the other, he took a step to the chest in the defining game of the early nineties, by the team's nemesis, and I think he deserves to be remembered.




1 Comments:
I get this a lot, too. Since I'm in college, a lot of my friends are in their 20's. i don't mind being reminded of how old(er) I am, but i roll my eyes when they complain about "being old" because their back hurts or their knee popped.
Post a Comment
<< Home